What is infrastructure investment
The Australian Government's infrastructure investment agenda enables economic and social development in Australia's cities and regions by funding land transport infrastructure that delivers safer, more efficient connections for communities and freight.
The Australian Government committed to invest over $75 billion to transport infrastructure across Australia over the next 10 years, using a combination of grant funding, loans and equity investments. This will improve long-term productivity, increase and spread Australia's economic growth, and deliver higher incomes for Australians.
The commitment recognises that transformational infrastructure projects are planned and built over many years.
The Australian Government promotes sustainable economic growth, development and connectivity by contributing to the development of an integrated land transport network that:
- Improves national and regional connectivity for communities and industry.
- Improves national, regional and international logistics and trade.
- Enhances health, safety and security.
- Is consistent with the obligation to current and future generations to sustain the environment.
- Is consistent with viable, long-term economic and social outcomes.
- Is linked effectively to the broader transport network.