Innovation and Research Programs
Transport Development and Innovation projects are those projects that are for either or both of the following:
- Planning, research, investigations, studies or analysis of matters related to the present or future development or usage of the National Land Transport Network;
- Research or development related to technology or practices that will, or may, be used in connection with transport operations on the National Land Transport Network
Examples of Transport Development and Innovation projects include:
- Intelligent Transport Systems, including automatic number plate recognition, variable message signs, and the application of GPS technology to vehicle location;
- Corridor studies to support the development of long-term investment strategies for each of the corridors of the National Network. Corridor studies examine long-term (20-25 year) forecasts and demand drivers, major impediments and constraints, and priority national transport needs within a corridor; and
- Research projects that can lead to longer term savings such as the Low Volume Roads Technology projects.
A land transport research entity is an eligible funding recipient whose functions include carrying out, arranging or assisting planning, research, investigations, studies or analysis of matters related to land transport operations.