Regional Rail Investment in Victoria
In the 2017-18 Budget, the Australian Government committed $500 million for regional rail in Victoria. This investment will build a better regional network in Victoria with improvements to the North East Line, the Gippsland Line, the Geelong Line and a study into improving the Shepparton Line. The package includes:
- $195 million to upgrade the Gippsland Rail Line;
- $100 million to upgrade the Geelong Rail Line;
- $100 million to upgrade the North East Rail Line;
- $95 million to upgrade the Avon River Bridge; and
- $10 million to plan for future improvements to the Shepparton Rail Line.
The Australian Government is working with the Victorian Government to finalise these projects and implementation arrangements.