Stronger Communities Programme
- In the 2015 Budget, the Australian Government announced the Stronger Communities Programme to fund small capital projects in local communities in each of the 150 Federal Electorates.
- The SCP will deliver $45 million over two years commencing in 2015-16.
The objective of the SCP is to fund small capital projects which will deliver social benefits. The programme aims to improve local community participation, cohesion and contribute to vibrant and viable communities.
- Federal Members of Parliament (MPs) will establish a community consultation committee to undertake consultation in their electorate to identify eligible projects and invite applicants to apply.
- Local government and incorporated not-for-profit organisations are eligible to apply.
- Grants of between $5,000 and up to a maximum of $20,000 are available.
- Applicants are required to confirm matched funding in cash and/or in-kind on at least a dollar-for-dollar basis.
- Funding of $150,000 per electorate per year will be allocated for two years commencing 2015-16.
How to Apply
Applicants will be invited to apply by MPs following community consultation. MPs will provide selected applicants with a link to the Department’s Grants Management System (GMS) Portal to enable them to complete their application. Applications must be submitted to MPs using the GMS Portal.
Round 2 applications must be submitted to MPs using the GMS Portal and can be submitted from 15 February 2016. Prospective applicants should contact their local MP to discuss their project proposal.
MPs will select projects from their electorate, totaling no more than $150,000 per year, and submit Round 2 projects to the Department by 29 April 2016 for assessment against the requirements of the Guidelines.
The Department will assess these projects against the Guidelines and determine whether the project represents a proper use of grant funding.
The Department continues to assess projects submitted under Round 1. MPs will be advised by the Department of funding decisions as soon as possible after a decision has been made so that MPs are able to inform successful applicants.
- Stronger Communities Programme Guidelines PDF: 343 KB
- Frequently Asked Questions (updated 15 February 2016) PDF: 243 KB
- Guidance for Members of Parliament (updated 15 February 2016)PDF: 156 KB
- GMS Portal User Guide for Applicants - Round 2 (new) PDF: 1736 KB
- GMS Portal User Guide for Members of Parliament - Round 2 (new)PDF: 919 KB
- Letter of Acceptance Template PDF: 111 KB
- GMS Portal User Guide for Applicants - Round 1 PDF: 1653 KB
- GMS Portal User Guide for Members of Parliament - Round 1 PDF: 989 KB