Northern Australia Roads Program
About the program
The Northern Australia Roads Program forms part of the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia (the White Paper), comprising a $600 million commitment to enable upgrades to high priority roads in northern Australia essential to the movement of people and freight to support the North’s economic development.
Roads identified in Infrastructure Australia’s Northern Australia Audit, along with other roads identified as priorities by the states and territories, such as those connecting communities, or regional towns to ports, were considered for funding.
Works undertaken include upgrades and safety and productivity improvements, such as road widening, overtaking lane construction and pavement renewal.
The Australian Government announced projects to be funded under the Northern Australia Roads Program throughout 2016.
See below for a list of projects:
- Flinders Highway (Townsville – Torrens Creek): Pavement strengthening and rehabilitation (Package 1).
- Flinders Highway – (Charters Towers to Richmond): Replacement of culverts.
- Capricorn Highway (Rockhampton - Gracemere): Duplicate the section of the Capricorn Highway between Rockhampton and Gracemere.
- Kennedy Developmental Road (Mount Garnet – The Lynd): Widening a section of road from a single lane seal to a two-lane seal between Mount Garnet and The Lynd.
- Kennedy Developmental Road (The Lynd – Hughenden): Upgrading sections of the Kennedy Developmental Road known locally as the Hann Highway.
- Barkly Highway (Cloncurry – Mount Isa): Intersection upgrades in Mount Isa urban area.
- Bowen Developmental Road: Progressive sealing and minor drainage improvements.
- Landsborough Highway (Longreach – Winton): Pavement widening and strengthening.
- Peak Downs Highway (Clermont – Nebo): Logan Creek to Nine Mile Creek: Pavement widening and strengthening.
- Rockhampton (Bajool – Port Alma Road): Pavement widening and safety upgrades to the port access road.
- Plenty Highway: Progressive sealing and flood immunity improvements.
- Tjukaruru Road: Sealing and upgrades to an unsealed section of the road.
- Upgrade of Keep River Plains Road: Upgrades to the Keep River Plains Road to support Project Sea Dragon and the development of Ord Stage 3.
- Adelaide River Floodplain Upgrade Arnhem Highway: Upgrades to the Arnhem Highway, improving the flood immunity at the Adelaide River floodplain to provide all-weather access between the Stuart Highway and Mount Bundy.
- Buntine Highway Road Upgrading: Pavement strengthening, widening and sealing on priority sections.
- Great Northern Highway (Wyndham Spur Stage 2): Road widening and road overlay works.
- Great Northern Highway (Maggie’s Jump Up): Construction of passing lanes including improvements to the vertical and horizontal road alignments.
- Marble Bar Road (Coongan Gorge): Realignment and reconstruction works.
- Great Northern Highway (Bow River Bridge): Replacement of the existing low-level single lane bridge with a new two-lane high-level bridge.
- Broome-Cape Leveque Road: Road re-construction and re-alignment.
The Northern Australia Roads Program will help improve the North’s transport network and as a result support economic development and improve safety for all road users.
The Australian Government will fund up to a maximum of 80 per cent of the total project cost in partnership with the state, territory and local governments.
Funding is available over three years from the 2016 to 2017 financial year to the 2019 to 2020 financial year.
Map of Northern Australia Roads and Beef Roads Programs PDF: 7518 KB