Regional rail investment in Victoria
In late June 2017, the Australian Government committed $1.42 billion towards a $1.57 billion package of works to upgrade regional rail across Victoria. The Australian Government is committed to the development of regional communities, including through reductions in travel times and better transport connections that make it easier for people to move between regional and metropolitan centres for business, education and recreational purposes.
Priority projects from the $1.57 billion regional rail investment in Victoria include:
- $555.6 million—Ballarat Rail Line Upgrade
- $435 million—Gippsland Rail Line Upgrade
- $100 million to upgrade the North East Rail Line
- $114 million—Warrnambool Rail Line Upgrade
- $110 million—Surf Coast Rail Stage 1, including Stage1 of the duplication of the Geelong Rail Line from South Geelong to
- $91 million—Bendigo and Echuca Rail Line Upgrade
- $95 million to upgrade the Avon River Bridge
- $20.2 million for the Murray Basin Freight Rail project, additional to the Government's previous commitment of $220 million
- $10 million to freight network planning on the Shepparton Rail Line.
The Australian Government is working with the Victorian Government to finalise these projects and implementation arrangements.