The project will duplicate 30.9 kilometres of the 47.3 kilometres between Maffra Road, Traralgon and Reeve Street, Sale. The project will construct two additional lanes to provide a four lane, dual carriageway with a central median, install new roundabouts and safety barriers, and upgrade and signalise existing bridges and intersections. The project is being delivered in the following stages:
• Traralgon-Maffra Road to Stammers Road
• Stammers Road to Minniedale Road
• Minniedale Road to Sheepwash Creek Road
• Flynns Creek Road to Byes Lane
• Denison Road to Nambrok Road
• Nambrok Road to Maffra-Rosedale Road
• Sale-Cowwarr Road to Sale-Heyfield Road
• Sale-Heyfield Road to Reid Drive
• Reid Drive to Reeve Street
The project will increase capacity, reduce transit times and improve traffic flow and safety for the 7,900 to 17,300 vehicles that are estimated to use the Princes Highway between Traralgon and Sale each day.
The estimated cost of the project is $260 million. The Australian Government is contributing $210 million and the Victorian Government $50 million.
Construction commenced on 3 February 2010 and is expected to be completed in early 2019.