|Funding Programme:||Investment Road and Rail Programme
|Expected Start/Finish:||September 2013 - March 2016
|Estimated Project Cost:||$923,230,000
|Australian Government Contribution:||$633,290,000
|Local Council/Shire:||City of Belmont,Shire of Kalamunda
The project involved a significant upgrade of the road network around Perth Airport. The project included:
- a freeway-to-freeway interchange at the intersection of the Tonkin and Leach Highways, including a new access point to Perth International Airport;
- an interchange at the intersection of the Tonkin Highway, Horrie Miller Drive and Kewdale Road;
- an interchange at the intersection of the Leach Highway and Abernethy Road;
- an upgrade of the Tonkin Highway and Roe Highway interchange;
- an interchange with Boud Avenue (Perth International Airport);
- upgrade and widening from four to six lanes of the Tonkin Highway between the Great Eastern and Roe Highways;
- an upgrade of the Leach Highway to expressway standard between the Tonkin Highway and Orrong Road;
- modifications to the local road network in Kewdale to accommodate the upgrade of the Leach Highway to a controlled access expressway; and
- a new on-ramp from Abernethy Road to the southbound lanes of the Tonkin Highway.
The project also included associated noise mitigation, cycling and pedestrian facilities and Intelligent Transport Systems infrastructure.
The Perth International Airport and surrounding areas serve as a major passenger and freight network hub for the Perth metropolitan area.
The expected strong growth in passenger numbers at the airport, combined with the planned consolidation of the domestic and international terminals, will add significant additional traffic demand to the southern access to the airport. Further traffic will be generated by industrial developments to the south of the airport and in the surrounding areas of Kewdale and Forrestfield, and from commuters in the eastern and southeastern suburbs of Perth.
The Gateway WA project is anticipated to reduce congestion and improve access to Perth International Airport and surrounding areas. It has been designed to cater for future growth in these facilities which are important contributors to the Western Australian economy and will also support resource operations in regional and remote areas of the state by improving access to the airport for their fly-in, fly-out workforce.
The Australian Government has contributed $633.3 million to this $923.23 million project.
Construction of an initial component of the project, the Abernethy Road on-ramp to the Tonkin Highway, commenced in February 2013 and was completed in November 2013.
Construction of the main components of the project commenced in September 2013 and the full project was completed on 22 March 2016.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 3/05/2016