|Funding Programme:||Northern Australia Roads Programme
|Expected Start/Finish:||Mid 2017 - Late 2017
|Estimated Project Cost:||$3,320,000
|Australian Government Contribution:||$2,660,000
|Local Council/Shire:||Charters Towers Regional Council
The Kennedy Developmental Road is a key inland intra-regional road.
The scope of works for this project includes widening (from single-lane to two-lane seal) over 3 kilometres of Kennedy Developmental Road between Mount Garnet and the Lynd.
This project one of two packages of work on the Kennedy Developmental Road being funded under the Northern Australia Roads Programme.
These works enable this section of the Kennedy Developmental Road to better accomodate future increases in heavy vehicle traffic.
This project will provide the following benefits:
- a wider and safer two-lane highway for the 100 km/h posted speed environment;
- increased heavy vehicle capacity on the proposed North-South Inland Freight Corridor;
- improved reliability and efficiency of freight movements between the East Coast and the Gulf;
- as well as better access to the proposed new Gilbert River agricultural area and North West Mineral Province;
- reduced whole-of-life asset management costs by strengthening and widening pavements to reduce
accelerated road wear and damage caused by heavy vehicles
The Australian Government has committed $2.66 million towards this $3.32 million project.
Construction is expected to commence in mid-2017.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 9/05/2017