|Funding Program:||Roads of Strategic Importance
|Estimated Project Cost:||$275,000,000
|Australian Government Contribution:||$220,000,000
|Local Council/Shire:||Shire of Chittering
The Great Northern Highway forms part of the National Land Transport Network linking the Perth metropolitan area and the Port of Fremantle with the north-west of Australia, and providing a link to Darwin and the Northern Territory.
The project will provide the final link in upgrading the Great Northern Highway to the same standard south from Wubin to the planned road train assembly area at Muchea. The project will provide a two lane highway, approximately 45.6km in length to the west side of Bindoon, including connections to existing roads and overtaking lanes. The completion of the Bindoon Bypass will enable access by triple road trains to travel within 58km of Perth (at Muchea).
Improve Freight Efficiency, Connectivity and Travel Time:
- improve access for heavy vehicles (including road trains) along the Great Northern Highway
- enable triple road train access to Muchea, on the northern outskirts of Perth
- improve freight efficiency and increase freight network capacity resulting in increased supply chain efficiency
- reduce costs for heavy vehicle operators, companies and commuters as a result of reduced travel time
Improve Local Amenities:
- improve road safety and reduce congestion for all road users
- improve amenity for the township of Bindoon
The Australian Government has committed $220 million towards the $275 million project.
The project is in planning.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 8/05/2018