Objectives and Key Features
The Australian Government promotes sustainable national and regional economic growth, development and connectivity by contributing to the development of an integrated National Network which:
- Improves national and inter-regional connectivity for people, communities, regions and industry.
- Improves national, inter-regional and international logistics and trade.
- Enhances health, safety and security.
- Is consistent with the obligation to current and future generations to sustain the environment.
- Is consistent with viable, long-term economic and social outcomes.
- Is linked effectively to the broader transport network.
- A defined National Network of important road and rail infrastructure links and their intermodal connections.
- A National Land Transport Plan designed to integrate planning and investment on the National Network.
- Earmarked funding for local and regional transport improvements.