What is infrastructure investment?
The Australian Government's infrastructure investment agenda enables economic and social development in Australia's cities and regions by funding land transport infrastructure that delivers safer, more efficient connections for communities and freight.
The Australian Government is investing $100 billion over 10 years from 2019-20 through its rolling infrastructure plan to help manage our growing population, meet our national freight challenge and get Australians home sooner and safer. This includes an additional $23 billion of new funding in the 2019–20 Budget for new projects and initiatives that will benefit every state and territory and provide local job opportunities.
The commitment recognises that transformational infrastructure projects are planned and built over many years.
The Australian Government promotes sustainable economic growth, development and connectivity by contributing to the development of an integrated land transport network that:
- Improves national and regional connectivity for communities and industry.
- Improves national, regional and international logistics and trade.
- Enhances health, safety and security.
- Is consistent with the obligation to current and future generations to sustain the environment.
- Is consistent with viable, long-term economic and social outcomes.
- Is linked effectively to the broader transport network.