Northern Australia Roads Program
About the program
The $600 million Northern Australia Roads Program is delivering upgrades to high priority roads in northern Australia essential to the movement of people and freight to support the North's economic development.
Roads identified in Infrastructure Australia's Northern Australia Audit, along with other roads identified as priorities by the states and territories, such as those connecting communities, or regional towns to ports, were considered for funding.
Works undertaken include upgrades and safety and productivity improvements, such as road widening, overtaking lane construction and pavement renewal.
The Australian Government announced 19 projects to be funded under the Northern Australia Roads Program throughout 2016. In 2020, the Australian Government committed to deliver Stage 2 of the Great Northern Highway Upgrade Ord River North using savings that were realised following completion of other Northern Australia Roads Program projects in Western Australia.
See below for a list of projects:
- Flinders Highway (Townsville – Torrens Creek): Pavement strengthening and rehabilitation (Package 1).
- Flinders Highway – (Charters Towers to Richmond): Replacement of culverts.
- Capricorn Highway (Rockhampton—Gracemere): Duplicate the section of the Capricorn Highway between Rockhampton and Gracemere.
- Kennedy Developmental Road (Mount Garnet – The Lynd): Widening a section of road from a single lane seal to a two-lane seal between Mount Garnet and The Lynd.
- Kennedy Developmental Road (The Lynd – Hughenden): Upgrading sections of the Kennedy Developmental Road known locally as the Hann Highway.
- Barkly Highway (Cloncurry – Mount Isa): Intersection upgrades in Mount Isa urban area.
- Bowen Developmental Road: Progressive sealing and minor drainage improvements.
- Landsborough Highway (Longreach – Winton): Pavement widening and strengthening.
- Peak Downs Highway (Clermont – Nebo): Logan Creek to Nine Mile Creek: Pavement widening and strengthening.
- Rockhampton (Bajool – Port Alma Road): Pavement widening and safety upgrades to the port access road.
- Plenty Highway: Progressive sealing and flood immunity improvements.
- Tjukaruru Road: Sealing and upgrades to an unsealed section of the road.
- Upgrade of Keep River Plains Road: Upgrades to the Keep River Plains Road to support Project Sea Dragon and the development of Ord Stage 3.
- Adelaide River Floodplain Upgrade Arnhem Highway: Upgrades to the Arnhem Highway, improving the flood immunity at the Adelaide River floodplain to provide all-weather access between the Stuart Highway and Mount Bundy.
- Buntine Highway Road Upgrading: Pavement strengthening, widening and sealing on priority sections.
- Great Northern Highway Upgrade – Maggie Creek to Wyndham: Widening and reconstruction works and improvements to road alignments on the Wyndham Spur.
- Marble Bar Road (Coongan Gorge): Realignment and reconstruction works.
- Great Northern Highway (Bow River Bridge): Replacement of the existing low-level single lane bridge with a new two-lane high-level bridge.
- Broome-Cape Leveque Road: Road re-construction and re-alignment.
- Great Northern Highway Upgrade Ord River North Section (Stage 2): Widening and reconstruction works, including building a new bridge over Tickalara Creek.
The Northern Australia Roads Program will help improve the North's transport network and as a result support economic development and improve safety for all road users.
The Australian Government will fund up to a maximum of 80 per cent of the total project cost in partnership with the state, territory and local governments.
Funding is currently available from 2016-17 until 2021-22.
Map of Northern Australia Roads and Beef Roads Programs PDF: 15603 KB