• Funding program Investment Road and Rail Program
  • Status In planning
  • Transport mode Road
  • Expected start/finish Late 2023 - Mid 2031
  • Estimated project cost $595,600,000
  • Australian Government contribution $476,500,000
  • Local Council/Shire Shire of Laverton,Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku
  • State WA

Project description

This project will upgrade the remaining sections of the Western Australia section that form the ‘Outback Way’, which runs from Winton in Queensland through the Northern Territory, to Laverton in Western Australia.


The project will contribute to improved safety and access to remote areas of the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia. The project is designed to unlock the potential benefits of the Outback Way to Indigenous and remote communities and the broader economy, particularly in the areas of tourism, mining and freight.


The Australian Government will contribute up to 80 per cent of the total project cost capped at $476.5 million, with the relevant state/local governments to contribute the remaining 20 per cent of the total project cost.


The project is expected to commence construction in late 2023 and be completed by mid 2031.

Project last updated:

Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.