The project will upgrade around 35 kilometres of The Northern Road between The Old Northern Road at Narellan and Jamison Road at South Penrith. The project will see The Northern Road upgraded to a minimum four-lane divided road, and up to an eight-lane divided road with dedicated bus lanes.
The Northern Road Upgrade is being delivered in six sections including:
- The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park (3.3km) - completed
- Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park and Mersey Road, Bringelly (11.3km) - completed
- Mersey Road, Bringelly and Eaton Road, Luddenham (5.5km) - completed
- Eaton Road, Luddenham and Littlefields Road, Luddenham (4.5km) - completed
- Littlefields Road, Luddenham and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park (6km) - under construction
- Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith (4km) - completed
The upgrade to The Northern Road will also include interchanges with the new M12 Motorway, the M4 Motorway and Bringelly Road.
The Northern Road upgrade will improve safety, provide improved road linkages within the western Sydney region, increase road capacity, reduce congestion and travel times, and support the region’s growing population.
The total cost of the project is $1,584.5 million. The Australian Government is providing $1,233.5 million and the NSW Government is providing $351 million towards the construction of this project.
Stages 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 complete. Stage 5 will Open to Traffic in late 2021.