|Funding Program:||Investment Road and Rail Program
|Expected Start/Finish:||2020 - 2026
|Estimated Project Cost:||$1,752,250,000
|Australian Government Contribution:||$1,402,000,000
|Local Council/Shire:||Fairfield City Council,Liverpool City Council,Penrith City Council
The project will involve the construction of a new east-west motorway between the M7 Motorway near Cecil Hills and The Northern Road at Luddenham. The M12 Motorway will serve as the major access route to the Western Sydney Airport and connect to Sydney’s motorway network. The proposed scope of works includes:
- An east-west 16km motorway between the M7 Motorway, Cecil Hills and The Northern Road, Luddenham
- A motorway built for four lanes (with provision for up to six lanes) with a central median to separate opposing traffic flows
- A direct connection to Western Sydney Airport
- A new at grade connection to The Northern Road with traffic lights
- Provision for a motorway-to-motorway interchange at the M7 Motorway
- Provision for a future grade-separated interchange.
The M12 Motorway, as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, is expected to deliver significant travel time reductions and increased travel time reliability to road users and freight operators, by providing a high standard and efficient connection to the proposed Western Sydney Airport compared to using the existing road network.
The total cost of the project is $1,752 million. The Australian Government is providing $1,402 million and the NSW Government is providing $350 million towards the construction of this project.
The M12 Preliminary Design and Access Strategy was publically released on 22 February 2018.
Construction is expected to commence in 2020 and be completed prior to the Western Sydney Airport opening in 2026.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 4/04/2019