|Funding Program:||Investment Road and Rail Program
|Expected Start/Finish:||Early 2020 - Mid 2022
|Estimated Project Cost:||$120,347,500
|Australian Government Contribution:||$96,280,000
|Local Council/Shire:||Mackay Regional Council
|Corridor:||Brisbane - Cairns
The Mackay Northern Access upgrade will involve six laning of a section of the Bruce Highway from Ron Camm Bridge to Davey Street (in North Mackay). The scope of works inlcudes:
- Two additional lanes on a 2km section of the Bruce Highway between the Ron Camm Bridge and the Mackay-Bucasia Road turn off
- Two lanes between Mackay-Bucasia Road and the Davey Street overpass
- Duplication of a 2km section of the Bruce Highway between the Davey Street overpass and Bald Hill Road
- Widening of the Goosepond Creek Bridge and the bridge over Janes Creek
- Duplication of the bridge over the Mackay Harbour Branch rail line
- Intersection upgrades
- Realignment works
- Additional turning lanes
The project will reduce the number and severity of crashes on this section of the Bruce Highway through the addition of lanes and intersection improvements. This will reduce the potential for rear end crashes resulting from stop-start traffic and accidents resulting from significant speed differences between adjacent lanes. The intersection improvements will mitigate the major conflicts currently occurring at the southern approach to the Bruce Highway and Mackay - Bucasia Road intersection.
The Australian Government has committed up to $96.3 million towards the project, in partnership with the Queensland Government.
Construction commenced in February 2020 and is scheduled for completion in mid 2022, weather permitting.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 1/05/2020