|Funding Program:||Investment Road and Rail Program
|Expected Start/Finish:||Early 2016 - Mid 2020
|Estimated Project Cost:||$754,500,000
|Australian Government Contribution:||$603,600,000
|Local Council/Shire:||Corporation of the City of Marion,City of Mitcham,City of Onkaparinga
The Darlington Upgrade project involves reconfiguration of approximately 3.3km of South Road from the Southern Expressway to north of Tonsley Boulevard into an expressway-standard road. It includes a lowered non-stop motorway that passes underneath Flinders Drive, Sturt Road, Mimosa Terrace/Sutton Road, Ayliffes Road and Tonsley Boulevard, at-grade service roads, and a full free flow interchange at the Southern Expressway/Main South Road junction.
The project is part of the North-South Corridor, which is a critical route for the movement of freight and business-related passenger traffic, connecting the Port of Adelaide, Adelaide Airport, the Islington intermodal terminal and other freight terminals.
The Darlington Upgrade project will upgrade the North-South Corridor through the following benefits:
- reduced travel times for long distance north-south movements through Darlington
- reduced travel times for arterial road and local road movements
- improved freight transport productivity in Adelaide
- enhanced productivity and increased competitiveness for export industries
- reduced traffic congestion and improved safety at this critical location
- improved north-south traffic flows along the corridor
- improved connectivity for east-west traffic by reducing delays at South Road intersections
The Australian Government is contributing $603.6 million towards the $754.5 million project.
Construction commenced in April 2016 and is expected to be completed in mid 2020.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 20/11/2019