|Funding Program:||Northern Australia Roads Program
|Expected Start/Finish:||Mid 2017 - Early 2018
|Estimated Project Cost:||$3,320,000
|Australian Government Contribution:||$2,660,000
|Local Council/Shire:||Charters Towers Regional Council
The scope of works for this project includes widening (from single-lane to two-lane seal) over 3 kilometres of Kennedy Developmental Road between Mount Garnet and the Lynd.
Once this section is widened to two-lanes, the entire length of the Kennedy Developmental Road between Mt Garnett and the Lynd will be a two-lane standard seal.
These works enable this section of the Kennedy Developmental Road to better accomodate future increases in heavy vehicle traffic.
This project will provide the following benefits:
- a wider and safer two-lane highway for the 100 km/h posted speed environment;
- increased heavy vehicle capacity on the proposed North-South Inland Freight Corridor;
- improved reliability and efficiency of freight movements between the East Coast and the Gulf;
- as well as better access to the proposed new Gilbert River agricultural area and North West Mineral Province;
- reduced whole-of-life asset management costs by strengthening and widening pavements to reduce;
accelerated road wear and damage caused by heavy vehicles.
The Australian Government has committed $2.66 million towards this $3.32 million project.
Construction commenced in June 2017 and was completed in February 2018.
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available
on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional
advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important
matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance
of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional
advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
Project details last updated: 5/09/2018