The Toowoomba to Seymour Corridor is a critical link in Australia’s freight transport network. This investment will deliver targeted upgrades along the Toowoomba to Seymour Corridor in New South Wales, including the Newell Highway, which contributes to the competitiveness of Australia's agriculture and mining sectors.
The upgrades are designed to address issues impacting the performance of this critical freight corridor including barriers to the adoption of High Productivity Vehicles, safety concerns, flood resilience, localised congestion and insufficient overtaking opportunities.
There are currently 13 committed projects on the corridor. See list below.
- County Boundary Road - The Australian Government is committing $8.2 million towards the upgrade of the Country Boundary Road in the Gwydir Shire to cater for future demands, including increased capacity to support Inland Rail construction.
- Entrance to Mugincoble Silos Access Road - The Australian Government is committing $3.8 million towards the realignment of the current intersection and approaches to the Mugincoble Silos on Eugowra Road.
- Forbes Iron Bridge Upgrade - The Australian Government is committing $36.0 million towards the construction of a new bridge over the Lachlan River, as well as a new road alignment between Lachlan Valley Way and The Escort Way near Forbes.
- Moree Intermodal Overpass - The Australian Government is committing $35.2 million towards the construction of the Moree. Intermodal Overpass, as well as associated road infrastructure to link the overpass to the Newell Highway in the west and to Bullus Drive in the east.
- Newell Highway and Mitchell Highway Intersection Upgrade - $20 million in Australian Government funding was committed towards the upgrade of the Newell Highway and Mitchell Highway intersection in Dubbo.
- Newell Highway and Oxley Highway Intersection Upgrade - The Australian Government is committing $32.0 million towards the upgrade of the Newell Highway and Oxley Highway intersection near Coonabarabran.
- Pilliga Road Upgrade - The Australian Government is committing $5.0 million towards upgrading Pilliga Road in Narrabri Shire.
- Purlewaugh Road Upgrade - The Australian Government is committing $2.4 million towards upgrading 10 kilometres of Purlewaugh Road, and the provision of a safer east west connection between Coonabarabran and Quirindi.
- Peak Hill Road Upgrade ‘Part 1’ - The Australian Government is committing $8.6 million towards the widening and sealing of approximately 16 kilometres of Peak Hill Road within the Cabonne Shire.
- Peak Hill Road Upgrade ‘Part 2’ - The Australian Government is committing $7.8 million towards the widening and sealing of approximately 16 kilometres of Peak Hill Road within the Parkes Shire.
- Upgrades to Hargraves Lane and Federation Street - The Australian Government is committing $32.0 million towards upgrading the intersections of Hargraves Lane and Federation Street to the Newell, Oxley and Castlereagh Highways in Gilgandra.
- Newell Highway - Mungle Back Creek to Boggabilla - Stage 2 - $81.1 million in Australian Government funding was committed towards the widening of the existing formation and providing an improved heavy duty pavement on the Newell Highway between Mungle Back Creek and Boggabilla.
- Tooraweenah Road Upgrade - the Australian Government has committed $23 million towards updgrading Tooraweenah Road.
- Improved safety for all road users
- Improved efficiency and network reliability
- Improved accessibility and connectivity of road networks
- Improved freight productivity and access to freight gateways
Australian Government funding for the Corridor: $300 million
New South Wales Government contribution to the corridor: $80 million.
Relevant local councils will contribute a further $19.58 million to these projects.
The remaining $4.9 million in Australian Government funding will be allocated to future priorities along the corridor.
Projects on this corridor started construction in early 2020.
Please refer to the individual webpages for the commencement and completion dates for each project.