- Funding program Investment Road and Rail Program
- Status Completed
- Transport mode Road
- Expected start/finish Early 2016 - Late 2021
- Estimated project cost $1,584,500,000
- Australian Government contribution $1,233,500,000
- Local Council/Shire The Council of Camden,Liverpool City Council,Penrith City Council
- State NSW
The project upgraded around 35 kilometres of The Northern Road between The Old Northern Road at Narellan and Jamison Road at South Penrith. The upgrade delivered a four-lane divided road, and up to an eight-lane divided road with dedicated bus lanes.
The Northern Road Upgrade was delivered in six sections including:
- The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park (3.3km) - completed
- Peter Brock Drive, Oran Park and Mersey Road, Bringelly (11.3km) - completed
- Mersey Road, Bringelly and Eaton Road, Luddenham (5.5km) - completed
- Eaton Road, Luddenham and Littlefields Road, Luddenham (4.5km) - completed
- Littlefields Road, Luddenham and Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park (6km) - completed
- Glenmore Parkway, Glenmore Park and Jamison Road, South Penrith (4km) - completed
The upgrade to The Northern Road also included interchanges with the new M12 Motorway, the M4 Motorway and Bringelly Road.
The Northern Road upgrade has improved safety, provided improved road linkages within the western Sydney region, increased road capacity, reduced congestion and travel times, and is supporting the region’s growing population.
The total cost of the project is $1,584.5 million. The Australian Government is providing $1,233.5 million and the NSW Government is providing $351 million towards the construction of this project.
Stages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 complete. Stage 5, the final stage of this project, opened to traffic in November 2021.
Project last updated:
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.