The Department’s cost estimation guidance outlines the principles that are expected to be followed by proponents in preparing cost estimates accompanying Project Proposal Reports, submitted in accordance with the Notes on Administration (NOA), for projects seeking Australian Government funding.
The cost estimation guidance, published following a thorough public consultation process, comprises the following key components which are available for download:
- Guidance Note – Overview, Version 1.0, August 2018 PDF: 1.6 MB
- Guidance Note 1 — Project Scope, Version 1.0, March 2017 PDF: 354 KB
- Guidance Note 2 — Base Cost Estimation, Version 1.0, March 2017 PDF: 514 KB
- Guidance Note 3A – Probabilistic Contingency Estimation, Version 1.0, November 2018 PDF: 2.5 MB
- Guidance Note 3A – Supplementary Guidance, Version 1.0, November 2018 PDF: 4.6 MB
- Risk Factor model 1 XLSX: 84 KB
- Risk Factor model 2 XLSX: 96 KB
- Risk Factor model 3 XLSX: 129 KB
- Risk Factor model 4 XLSX: 92 KB
- Guidance Note 3B – Deterministic Contingency Estimation, Version 1.0, August 2018 PDF: 1.4 MB
- Range based model XLSX: 870 KB
- Guidance Note 4 – Escalation, Version 2.0, January 2020 PDF: 1.4 MB
Upcoming guidance notes and future consultation
While the department does not intend to expand its cost estimation guidance beyond the six key components at this stage, further notes on additional topics may be developed in future. The department will undertake a process of consultation with any future guidance note prior to final publication.
Users should register below to ensure they are informed about future initiatives.
Register your interest
Enquiries regarding the guidance notes, should be directed to: email@example.com