- Funding program Northern Australia Beef Roads Program
- Status Completed
- Transport mode Road
- Expected start/finish Mid 2019 - Early 2020
- Estimated project cost $4,730,000
- Australian Government contribution $3,790,000
- Local Council/Shire Tablelands Regional Council
- State QLD
The Burke Developmental Road is a key route for cattle transportation in northern Queensland, servicing a number of cattle producers in the region between Chillagoe to Almaden.
This package involves approximately 3.45km of progressive sealing works on unsealed sections of the Burke Developmental Road between Chillagoe to Almaden. In conjunction with Package two, a total of 5.25km of the road will be sealed to improve safety and productivity in the region.
The project will deliver the following improvements to the cattle supply chain:
- improved productivity and travel times by sealing unsealed sections of road, resulting in higher travel speeds and reduced transport costs
- reduced damage and stress to livestock by reducing road roughness and dust generation
- improved road safety
- improved route reliability and reduced road closures during the wet season
- reduced whole-of-life asset management costs
The Australian Government has committed up to $3.79 million towards this $4.73 million project.
Construction commenced in August 2019 and was completed in February 2020.
Project last updated:
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.