- Funding program Northern Australia Roads Program
- Status Completed
- Transport mode Road
- Expected start/finish Early 2019 - Mid 2019
- Estimated project cost $8,273,000
- Australian Government contribution $6,346,213
- Local Council/Shire Mount Isa City Council
- State QLD
- Corridor Townsville - Mount Isa
The Barkly Highway is a key link in the logistics supply chain supporting agriculture and mining in the North West of Queensland.
The scope of works for this project involves upgrading nine intersections on the Barkly Highway through the Mt Isa urban area.
This project will address safety and traffic performance issues relating to heavy vehicle traffic movements through the Mt Isa urban area.
This project will provide the following benefits:
- improved road safety, by providing pedestrian facilities, right and left turning lanes, signal
- reprograming/right turning filtration/new signalisation of intersections to current standards
- improved pedestrian facilities at intersections
- improved drainage at intersections
- improved reliability and efficiency of freight movements within the Mount Isa urban area
- strengthened road pavement in the intersections
The Australian Government has committed up to $6.62 million towards this $8.27 million project.
Construction commenced in March 2019 and was completed in August 2019.
Project last updated:
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.