- Funding program Investment Road and Rail Program
- Status Under construction
- Transport mode Rail
- Expected start/finish Late 2022 - End 2024
- Estimated project cost $893,000,000
- Australian Government contribution $750,000,000
- State VIC
Between Melbourne and Geelong, the rail line is duplicated allowing trains to operate and pass each other independently. However, between Geelong and Warrnambool, the rail line is mostly single track with a limited number of passing loops. Since 2003-04, patronage on the Geelong rail line has increased by 242 per cent and is expected to double by 2025-26. Additional services cannot be provided to South Geelong and Waurn Ponds without duplicating the track.
The project will upgrade the Geelong rail line between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds. Works will include:
- Duplication of approximately eight kilometres of track between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds stations
- Upgrades to South Geelong and Marshall stations
- Removal of two level crossings at Fyans Street and Surf Coast Highway,
- Various signalling upgrades, and
- Construction of approximately five kilometres of shared user paths.
The project is expected to:
- improve passenger rail services
- increase transport infrastructure capacity
- improve connectivity between people, jobs and services, and goods with markets
The Australian Government has committed $750 million towards this project.
Planning for the project is underway. Early works construction commenced in late 2022 and major construction is expected to commence in 2023. Project scheduled to reach practical completion in late 2024.
Project last updated:
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.