- Funding program Roads of Strategic Importance
- Status Under construction
- Transport mode Road
- Estimated project cost $125,000,000
- Australian Government contribution $100,000,000
- Local Council/Shire Townsville City Council,Central Highlands Regional Council,Charters Towers Regional Council,Isaac Regional Council,Maranoa Regional Council
- State QLD
This project will deliver targeted upgrades to the Gregory, Dawson and Carnarvon Highways, and surrounding roads.
The Townsville to Roma corridor is a key economic freight route that supports major industries including mining, agriculture and tourism.
Upgrades to this corridor will provide the following benefits:
- ensure key freight roads efficiently connect agricultural and mining regions to ports, airports and other transport hubs
- provide a more reliable and safe road network, especially during the wet season
- improve access for higher capacity vehicles
- facilitate other economic opportunities, especially tourism
The Australian Government will contribute up to 80 per cent, capped at $100 million.
Projects on this corridor commenced construction in January 2020. Planning is continuing in collaboration with state and council proponents.
Project last updated:
Disclaimer: The material contained in this site is made available on the understanding that the Department is not thereby engaged in rendering professional advice for a particular purpose. Before relying on the material in any important matter, users should carefully evaluate the accuracy, completeness and relevance of the information for their purposes and should obtain appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.